The Indian Agency was established concurrent with the establishment of Fort Sill as a result of the Medicine Lodge Treaty obligations agreed to on October 21, 1867.
Among the things the United States government was required to provide were a warehouse or store-room; an Agency building which was also the home of the Agent; a home for the Agency Physician; buildings for a carpenter, farmer, blacksmith, miller and an engineer; a school-house or mission building; a steam saw mill, a grist mill, and shingle machine. Over time these required structures were to grow to accommodate various other buildings and establishments.
The Agency was located about 2 miles southeast of Fort Sill on the east bank of Cache Creek and south of the confluence of Medicine Creek. The Agent’s house and office were built about 1868 using soil and water mixed with straw poured into forms to make bricks of adobe. Various buildings were constructed of lumber hauled 175 difficult miles from Henrietta, Texas. The Agent’s Adobe House was abandoned soon after it was constructed because it was on the east side of Cache Creek and Fort Sill was on the west. The frequent flooding of the creek would render conducting business with Fort Sill virtually impossible.
Years later, Edward L. Clark and family lived in this Adobe House. The Clark Twins were born in this house as were several of the other children.