Three Inches of Dirt


[FACSIMLE of a Fort Sill internal memorandum circa 1955.]

(Re: Mike Swett)                                                                (Methodist Mission)


Approximately 200 burials all told, between time Mission established and 1917.  In 1917, early part of, when Post Field established and Reservation (Military) accordingly extended south, burials ceased there. Previously, south boundary of Reservation was approx halfway between present hangars and Indian Mission (halfway across present Post Field). Following acquisition by Govt of burial land, QM put cement slabs over graves that could be positively located. There are at least 150 such slabs.

Rev. Robert / Chaat (Comanche Indian Mission - is Indian
minister there)

Approx. a yr ago (1954), since gravexxxxxxslabs were interfering with planes landing, the Engrs covered them over with about 3” of dirt. Graves are on the ridge.

At time Fort Sill took over grave area in 1917 – at time Reverend Harper was here – Indians who wished to move relatives (sic) graves were given chance to – and a list was compiled of the Indian burials that remained there. Comanche Mission believed to have a copy of list.

The grave area – and Post Field – used to be called the “police pasture” – where the Indian police grazed their horses, and road from Lawton to Four Mile Crossing cut diagonally northwest thru here, just east of graves, heading toward Mt. Scott (directionally).