Moxie (aka, Mocksu), meaning sleeve, was a Mexican captive.  He was captured as a small boy by Tabananica (Hears the Sun Rise) and was of the large Kwahada band of Comanches.  His fluency in Spanish made him invaluable to Comanches as they had ample contact with their Mexican neighbors.  In 1873 Moxie was appointed a band chief by the Indian Agent.  It is reported that there were 37 members in Moxie's band as of March 1874 [Kavanagh 1996:472].

Moxie and three other band chiefs were among those who refused to attend the 1874 Comanche Medicine Dance on the grounds their participation would be deemed as objectionable to the Army and the Indian Agent.

Through a friendship that developed between Edward L. Clark and Moxie, he gave his daughter, Waumaconie, to Clark for a wife.  They were married by U.S. Indian Agent P.B. Hunt on April 3, 1883.  Waumaconie was then 14 or 15 years old and Clark was 37 years.  Arranged marriages and marriage at this early age for Comanche girls was the norm for that period and for the Comanche people.

Moxie and his family lived in canvas tents and teepees made from material bought at the trader's store and at the Agency. 

On June 27, 1874, an ill-fated expedition of Comanches, Kiowas, Cheyennes and Arapahos went to the north end of the Texas panhandle to drive out the white buffalo hunters.  In this the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, Moxie displayed unusual courage and daring.  He is said to have repeatedly ridden his horse up to the big slab doors of the encampment called “Adobe Walls.”  Moxie beat on these doors with the butt of his rifle and tried to back his horse against them and crush them in, but the door held and he was forced to ride away in a hail of rifle fire from the hunters and traders.  It was the Comanche medicine man, Ishati, who had promised victory and immunity from bullets.  Twenty year old Bat Masterson was among the survisors of this battle. 

Moxie's field glassesMoxie worked as a scout for Colonel R. S. MacKenzie who gave him a fine pair of French made binoculars in a leather case. These binoculars were acquired from the family in 1958 by the Museum of the Great Plains, Lawton, Oklahoma.  MacKenzie also gave Moxie a white truce flag and a written pass used to show soldiers he might encounter that he was employed as a scout.  The flag and pass have been lost to time.  

Aside from being a warrior of note among his adopted Comanche people, Moxie became a farmer and ranged a large herd of cattle.  He became a successful example of the assimilation and cooperation with the Government’s often-failed policy of integrating these nomadic people into the white culture.  He had a large number of Mexicans working for him with Agency-furnished plows and other farm tools with which he farmed land in the vicinity of the Little Washita River northeast of Fort Sill.  They raised corn, beans, pumpkins, and squash.

 In time, Moxie and family moved their camp on the Little Washita River to the east side of Cache Creek southeast of Fort Sill.  Many Comanches favored this area as a camping place as it was near the Agency where they drew their rations.  Again, Moxie cultivated the rich creek bottom land and managed herds of cattle on Reservation grazing lands.  

Moxie died August 8, 1889, and Yahuattuqua died a few years later [Minor 2005:50].  Moxie and his wife are buried in unknown graves in this Indian Agency Cemetery along with their grandchildren, the Clark Twins [Corwin 1959:101].