Other Indian Cemeteries
Fort Sill Post Cemetery (Chief's Knoll)
Fort Sill Post Cemetery saw its beginning shortly after the post was established in 1869. It was then located west of the original Old Post. The highest point in the burial ground is known as Chief’s Knoll as many prominent Native American chiefs of the Southern Plains tribes, including many of the signatories of the Medicine Lodge Peace Treaty, are interred there.
This active "post" cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Apache Prisoners-of-War Cemeteries (Three separate plots)
The largest of these cemeteries lies along Beef Creek and within what is known as the East Range of the Fort Sill Military Reservation was established in 1894 by Captian Hugh Lenox Scott. Related cemeteries nearby are the Chief Chihuahua plot 1/4 miles north and Bailtso plot just south across the road. In 1894 the Apaches were brought to Fort Sill as prisoners-of-war where they remained for the next 19 years. Living in 12 villages, with many of their leading men serving as soldiers and U.S. scouts, they built their own houses, fenced the entire military reserve, dug water tanks which still dot the landscape, raised 10,000 cattle, and grew bountiful crops. Granted freedom by Act of Congress in 1913, 183 of them returned to New Mexico while 82 Apaches settled on farms within the vicinity.
This active "post" cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Otipoby Comanche Cemetery
This cemetery is also located on the East Range of the Fort Sill Military Reservation. It is on Arbuckle Hill slightly to the northeast of the Apache cemeteries. Otipoby Comanche Cemetery was established in 1888. The cemetery site became allotment land chosen by Hugh Otipoby in 1901 under the terms of the Jerome Agreement. The property was taken by purchase in 1942 as part of the expansion of Fort Sill during World War II.
Sometime in the early 1980s, the Comanche Cemetery Association lobbied the Army for and recieved about 140 Veterans Administration upright military-style white marble markers for the graves in this cemetery which had previously been unmarked. The Army provided these markers at no cost. There came a time shortly thereafter that the Army denominated the cemetery as a "private" cemetery under their rules (Army Regulation 210-190, Cemeteries) and thereafter discontinued providing those markers unless paid for by the relatives of the deceased.
This active "private" cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.